Kids Company Ensembles
Kids Company Ensembles provide opportunities for young performers to explore different styles of performance throughout the semester while strengthening their skills in acting, dance, or vocal performance. With a new theme each 3-week unit, our ensembles to dive into four distinct themes by the end of the semester. Check out our unit themes below!
Each semester culminates in an informal studio showcase for family, friends, and the Goodspeed community.
SPRING SEMESTER: February 7 – May 20, 2022
- Unit 1: In the Wild
- Unit 2: It Started at Goodspeed
- Unit 3: Original Movie Musicals
- Unit 4: Musical Farce
- Studio Showcase: Friday, May 20 at 6:30pm
- No Classes: April 18–22
Kids Company Ensembles meet weekly in the Alice Hammerstein Mathias
Rehearsal Studio located at 20b Norwich Road in East Haddam on the Goodspeed
VOCAL ENSEMBLESVocal Ensemble A (ages 7-12) | Mondays, 6:15pm - 7:15pm
Vocal Ensemble B (ages 13-18) | Mondays, 7:30pm - 8:30pm
Kids Company Vocal Ensembles will explore how musical stylings contribute to and amplify the stories of characters on stage in musical theatre. With a dual emphasis on vocal technique and stylistic coaching, Dr. Spencer Reese will help students develop their voices to suit a variety of musical genres.
ACTING ENSEMBLESActing Ensemble A (ages 7-12) | Tuedays, 6:15pm - 7:15pm
Acting Ensemble B (ages 13-18) | Tuesdays, 7:30pm - 8:30pm
In Kids Company Acting Ensembles, students will have opportunities to try on a variety of characters and stretch their imaginations as actors. In addition to diving into each of our unit themes, Acting Ensembles will also work with different forms such as monologues, one-on-one scenes, and group scene work.
DANCE ENSEMBLESDance Ensemble A (ages 7-12) | Wednesdays, 6:15pm - 7:15pm
Dance Ensemble B (ages 13-18) | Wednesdays, 7:30pm - 8:30pm
Each unit, the Kids Company Dance Ensembles will study a prominent musical theatre choreographer and learn a combination inspired by that choreographer's work. Our students will learn to embody a specific movement style, practice picking up choreography quickly, and improve their dance technique while collaborating with their peers.
MUSICAL THEATER WORKSHOP*Thursdays, 6:15pm - 8:15pm
As a multidisciplinary art form, musical theatre performers must be able to connect each piece of the puzzle into one dazzling performance. In this 2-hour class, students will learn techniques to sing, dance, and act simultaneously, honing skills learned in other classes and building a production number from the ground up.
*In order to be eligible for this 2-hour class, students must be enrolled in either the Kids Company Private Studio or one of the Kids Company Ensembles for at least one semester in that school year.
Classes are limited to ten students per Ensemble. All classes will have a wait list once full, and additional class sessions may be added to meet demand.
$375 for Vocal, Acting or Dance Ensemble
$560 Musical Theatre Workshop
Register for more than one Ensemble and get 10% off your registration fee!
Click the button below to register for Kids Company Ensembles online. Payment plans available for all classes and levels.
YOUR HEALTH & SAFETY
- Please note that Goodspeed follows state and CDC guidelines for safety
- Proof of vaccination is required for anyone entering Goodspeed facilities for education programs and events. This includes students, caregivers, faculty, and staff.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at the entrances and bathrooms.
- Masks will be required for all staff, faculty, students, and caregivers entering Goodspeed buildings.
- All classes will follow social distancing guidelines and recommendations.
- If your student is required to quarantine due to close contact at school or anywhere else, they may not attend Goodspeed classes or lessons during their quarantine period. If you receive notice that your student has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please contact us immediately at email@example.com.
- All guidelines are subject to change by Goodspeed Musicals and/or federal, state, or local authorities. Please review all posted signage for the most updated requirements. Failure to adhere to posted guidelines will result in noncompliant students or caregivers being asked to leave. No refunds will be given.
REFUND POLICYStudents who withdraw more than 2 weeks prior to the first class are eligible for a full refund, excluding processing fees. Those who withdraw with at least 48 hours notice will receive a 50% refund, excluding processing fees. Withdrawals within 48 hours of the first class or after the session has begun are not eligible for refunds.
MEET THE KIDS COMPANY ENSEMBLES FACULTY
SPENCER REESE recently completed his Doctoral of Musical Arts degree in voice at the University of Connecticut, where he studied with Connie Rock. Born and raised in Enfield, he also holds a bachelor’s degree in voice from UConn and a master’s degree in stage directing from the Eastman School of Music, where he was a student of Steven Daigle. He developed his passion for teaching at Eastman, and in his return to UConn oversaw the opera studio as well as all outreach productions and programs. Equally at home in the styles of musical theatre, operetta, and opera, he will also serve as the Artistic Director for the Connecticut Gilbert and Sullivan Society for their 2019 season. He has spent the last six summers in Wooster, Ohio where he is a resident artist with the Ohio Light Opera for their seven-show repertory season. Also an active performer, recent highlights include Don Lockwood in Singin’ in the Rain, Georg Nowack in She Loves Me, Danny Churchill in Gershwin’s Girl Crazy, Frederic in Pirates of Penzance, and Billy Crocker in Anything Goes. When not teaching or singing, Spencer enjoys competing as a ballroom dancer.